Thursday, July 31, 2014

Book review of Raspberry Pi Server Essentials by Packt Publishing

I bought Raspberry Pi and SD card to try something related with hardware components recently because I've been using public cloud like AWS for years, but I just felt like trying to use a tiny computing and gathering some data into public cloud.
As I was very new with Raspberry Pi, I just bought a text book to learn about what I can do with Raspberry Pi quickly. This is my review of the book.

Raspberry Pi Server Essentials


Raspberry Pi Server EssentialsRaspberry Pi Server Essentials by Piotr Kula

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


If you want to try hands-on about installing several servers such WEB, DB, open source games, Streaming, and playing audio on Raspberry Pi, this book will bring you a good and quick hands-on step by step. But, it is focusing on application, there are little study about H/W component and its architecture, programming, nor server architecture. However, If you are a beginner with Raspberry Pi, it will be the first step to have fun with it by paying at least $55 ($10: Book, $35: Raspberry Pi, $10: SD card). Besides, I recommend you should buy the kindle edition.

This is quick review for each chapter.

Chapter 1: Getting Started with Raspberry Pi
Summrized hardware requirement, essential peripherals and installing OS. You can find what you need to enjoy Raspberry Pi at the essentials peripehrals section.

Chapter 2: Preparing the Network
Wireless configuration, benchmarking tools and Internet configuration are great and helpful

Chapter 3: Configuring Extra Features
Hardware watchdog is interesting to monitor its status.

Chapter 4: Using a Fast PHP Web Server and Database
Summirized minimum setup and configuration to implement LAMP servers.

Chapter 5: Setting Up a File Server
If you need a File server, you should read it.

Chapter 6: Setting Up the Game Servers
Here, it's getting more playful by installing open source games.

Chapter 7: Bitcoins ? Pools and Mining
I am not interested in Bitcoins and mining, so I skipped. But, it might be interesting to measure how much CPU is used during the mining.

Chapter 8: Streaming Live HD Video
Short hands-on about how to stream video by installing and compiling.
It was fun because I've never had experienced in streaming and gave me a quick insight how to stream.

Chapter 9: Setting Up a Media Center
This chapter also shows streaming and playing audio and was fun to try to play audio and make slideshows.

View all my reviews


This is This is my Raspberry Pi!

By the way, I tried internet bandwidth with speedtest_cli.py via LAN, following at Chapter 2.
The bandwidth is not so bad.

1 comment:

  1. If you're searching for the ultimate Bitcoin exchange service, then you should use CoinMama.

    ReplyDelete

iJAWS@Doorkeeper